Back to School Math Review for Sixth Grade:
This product was developed with two questions in mind:
(1) What are the key concepts I would like my incoming sixth graders to know at the beginning of the year to ensure that they are successful in middle school math?
(2) How can I review these concepts as the students go back to school in a way that will pique their interest while comprehensively refreshing their memories in these key areas?
The answers to these questions and the portions of this product that meet these needs are listed below:
(1) Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing fluently with whole numbers. The Four-Operation Beginning of the Year Puzzle addresses this by having the students evaluate a variety of problems with all operations, presented in a myriad of different formats, while working to answer a brain-teasing question.
(2) Thoroughly understanding decimal place value. The Decimal Place Value Riddle Card Challenge (also sold separately) attacks this concept by presenting 20 place value riddle cards which can be solved by students in a healthy competition. It comes equipped with a review of decimal place value and a practice riddle card to explain the riddle-solving process to the students. NOTE: By customer request, this product has recently been upgraded to include a section on ORDERING DECIMALS. This section in includes a quick review of how to put a group of decimals in order from least to greatest, and a fun puzzle to cement these concepts.
(3) Adding and subtracting fractions and decimals. The Fraction-Decimal Addition-Subtraction Puzzle provides yet another enjoyable puzzle to solve as the students do so by evaluating a number of problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions and decimals.
(4) Understanding key math vocabulary taught at the elementary school level. The Prime, Composite, Factor, Multiple Riddle Card Challenge! (also sold separately) takes aim at this vocabulary by presenting a series of riddles that force students to think critically using words like “Sum”, “Product”, “Difference”, “Quotient”, “Prime”, “Odd”, “Even”, “Factor”, “Multiple” and more. This product is also presented with a review of the key words and a practice riddle card to demonstrate the riddle-solving process.
(5) Recognizing that there are some misconceptions that students pick up in elementary school that must be dispelled to ensure continued success in middle school math. Math Myth-Breakers (also sold separately) performs this role, asking the students to decide whether a number of statements (e.g. – “Multiplication always makes things larger.”) are true or false, and then allowing for rich discussion as the teacher explains why all of the statements (which most the students are convinced are true) are actually false. Equipped with discussion questions and answer keys.
These five different activities, bundled together at a discounted rate, work together to ensure that students get the beginning of the year review that they need while simultaneously building excitement and enthusiasm for the year of math to come.
Good luck in your use of this Back to School Review for Sixth Grade Math!
Feel free to check out a growing number of other products that use poetry, songs, games, worksheets, and assessments to make math fun and help students to learn a variety of common core math standards.
Click here to view Algebraic Expression and Equation Products
Click here to view Data, Statistics, and Probability Products
Click here to view Decimal Products
Click here to view Divisibility Rule Products
Click here to view Elementary to Middle School Transition Products
Click here to view Factor / Multiple Products
Click here to view Fraction Products
Click here to view Geometry Products
Click here to view Integer, Rational Number, and Order of Operations Products
Click here to view Ratio-Rate-Proportion-Percent Products
Click here to view Riddle Card Products that Help Retain Math Essentials
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.