Do you have the same questions when the new school year rolls around: Where are my students at? Are they working at grade level expectations? Above? Below? This packet will help answer some of those questions!
This unit contains 10 printables (5 math and 5 language)
that are designed to act as a pre-assessment
for students entering 2nd grade
. Provide one math and one language printable to your students each day during the first week of school and you will have a good idea of where your students are at, based on their knowledge of the 1st grade Common Core State Standards.
Each printable is labeled with the specific standards
it covers, as well as “I can” statements
for each section, in order to show what knowledge or skills students should be demonstrating.
The printables included are:
*Addition & Subtraction
– Fluent addition & subtraction within 10, determining the unknown number in an addition or subtraction equation, true & false equations, addition & subtraction within 100.
– Addition & subtraction to solve word problems, solving word problems by adding three numbers together.
*Place Value & Counting
– Understanding that the digits of a two-digit number represent the amounts of tens and ones, counting up to 120, finding 10 more or 10 less than a two-digit number, comparing numbers.
– Telling time using an analog clock, finding the length of an object, comparing lengths of objects.
*Data & Geometry
– Reading & answering questions about a bar graph, identifying 2-D shapes, counting sides and vertices of 2-D shapes, partitioning shapes.
*Parts of Speech
– Identifying nouns, forming plural nouns, identifying adjectives.
*Punctuation & Capitalization
– Using proper capitalization & end punctuation.
*Phonics & Word Recognition
– Identifying short & long vowel sounds, using common vowel teams, identifying medial vowel sounds, counting syllables.
*Verbs & Sentence Structure
– Identifying verbs, using the past tense, using the correct verb form, forming a complete sentence.
*Alphabet & Word Families
– Printing upper- & lowercase letters, identifying initial sounds to complete word families.
***Please note that these printables are not meant to be an extensive review of all the 1st grade standards. Rather, these pages are a condensed review of topics, designed to give you a general understanding of where your new students are at, based on the previous grade’s standards. This is meant to save you time and help facilitate planning so that you are not re-teaching concepts the students already excel at, or rushing through topics on which students may need some extra practice.***
**Answer Keys included**
Looking for other grade levels?
***3rd Grade version***
***4th Grade version***
Thank you for looking!
- Love to Learn, 2016