Products in this Bundle (5)
Also included in
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. (Note: Two of the 52 challenges are includ$104.98$204.77Save $99.79
Back-to-School STEM / STEAM challenges are a great way to build community, establish procedures, and get to know how your kids tick! Plus, they’re a great intro to forces and interactions and Newton’s three laws of motion, which are part of 3rd, 5th grade and middle school NGSS standards! (3PS2-1, 5PS2-1, MS-PS2-1, and MS-PS2-2)
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build solutions to design challenges using symbols of the season: apples and school supplies! Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8.
Bring the joy back to your classroom with collaborative, hands-on, brain-busting work (disguised as fun)!
Note: This version is for use with Google Slides in 1:1 / paperless classrooms. If you prefer to print and have students complete work with paper/pencil, you'll want to look at the PRINTABLE VERSION instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
There are five STEM design challenges included in this bundle:
⭐ Back to School STEM Challenge: Apples Aloft 1:1 PAPERLESS
⭐ Back-to-School STEM Challenge: Apples Afar 1:1 PAPERLESS
⭐ Back-to-School STEM Challenge: Apple Annihilator 1:1 PAPERLESS
⭐ Back-to-School STEM Challenge: Apple Ally 1:1 PAPERLESS
⭐ Back-to-School STEM Challenge: Apples A-head 1:1 PAPERLESS
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above.
- Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing and whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker (Google Slide format & printable version)
- NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to STEM Challenge How-To videos
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of each challenge
- Criteria & Constraints List (editable version provided)
- Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
- Process Flow Map
- Create & Solve Math Problems Based on Designs
- Several video / website slides for broadening understanding of forces & motion
- Plus, other design-specific extensions (see each individual challenge resource description page for more details)
Benefits of this STEM Design Challenge:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- Helps students develop growth mindset traits like persistence and resilience
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for ~60-90 min. if you are including data gathering and analysis rather than just building for fun. If you add extension activities, you will need to adjust timing accordingly.
Please check out the preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!