This product has some great activities for the first day of school For many middle school science students, this will be their first year of having science as a stand-alone class. Additionally, many middle schools are comprised of students coming from several different elementary schools. You can use these Back-to-School activities to help students practice the expectations of a science class, plus learn about each other. While they do these activities, you as a teacher can get to know your students and reinforce your classroom rules and guidelines.
activities included and their focuses are:
1. White Powders and Observations: FOCUS = following directions, making good observations
2. Tennis Ball Stand Scheme: FOCUS = trial and error, working with a group, communicating ideas
3. Acrostic Poem: FOCUS = Thinking about middle school science as more than blowing things up and dissecting frogs
4. Studentology: FOCUS = developing questions, working together in a group, analyzing and displaying data
5. See It. Say It. Build It. Compare It. FOCUS = Communication (both speaking and listening)
6. A to Z Science FOCUS = Thinking about different branches of science
7. Science Unscramble FOCUS = Thinking about equipment and processes used by scientists
8. All-About-Me One-Pager FOCUS = Following directions completely (added July 2015)
9. Advice Columns FOCUS = Thinking about typical problems middle schoolers face and how to fix them. (added 8/8/15)
10. Grabbing Some Teamwork FOCUS = working together with a small team to accomplish a challenge (added 1/11/16)
11. Puzzles Race FOCUS = working together and problem solving; includes and optional editable Google doc (added 7/14/16)
12. Fact or Fiction? FOCUS = thinking about misconceptions in science; includes an optional, editable Google Slides presentation (added 7/24/16)
Download the preview above to see a limited version of the twelve activities.
For other back-to-school and classroom routine ideas, we have a Math Back to School Activities
product, as well as our FREE products, Motor Mouth Minute
, a fast-paced game for the whole class, a Free BTS Logic Puzzle
, and our
Daily Bellringers Sheet
. We also have Exit Tickets
to help with the end of class routine.
Click on the green star above to follow our store and receive updates about new products and sales.
Also, don't forget to give feedback on the product to earn TpT Credits
. (Feedback on this product = 5 credits/ $0.25)
Thanks! Your business and feedback are greatly appreciated!