Try this fun back-to-school writing activity! Kids won’t even know you’re collecting a beginning of year writing sample. As a bonus, an icebreaker helps kids get to know classmates. Enjoy this freebie!
• All About Me writing organizers (boy and girl themes included)
• Something Special About Me writing paper (boy and girl themes included)
• My Classmates page
On the first day, kids can walk around with the My Classmates page. They’ll find a student that matches the sentence in a box (for example, “Someone who likes pizza.”) and write their name. It’s a fun way to get to know new classmates.
Follow that with the All About Me page. Kids write what’s special about them (for example, My Favorite Subject and Something I Can Do). Now you know your students too!
For a beginning of year writing prompt, ask kids to write a paragraph about one box on their About Me page.
Looking for more back-to-school resources? Try these monster-themed activities:
• Graphing Birthdays
– Your students will love this powerful, interactive set of graphing activities!
• Beginning of Year Whole Number Task Cards
– Here’s a fun way to assess kids’ whole number skills. This set of task cards range from easy to difficult, covering numeration and computation.
• Back to School Bulletin Board and Desk Tags
- Kids love the “My Little Monsters” theme!
These activities are classroom tested and kid approved.