These writing prompts are perfect for keeping students engaged and busy on the first day of school while you speak with nervous parents, collect supplies, and sort paperwork. Then continue using these prompts over the first few weeks. Print and have on hand for morning work, early finishers, high achievers, sub plans, or use at a writing center.
These pages are ideal for 4th and 5th graders or older writers because of the amount of space for writing. Look at the thumbnails to decide if this product is appropriate for your students.
Click here for the same prompts with lines ideal for beginning writers, like Kindergarteners.
Click here for the same prompts with bigger lines for writing, ideal for 1st-3rd graders.
Allow students to color and create a bulletin board or a class book, or create writing journals for each student.
Use to teach or review expository, narrative, creative writing, and poetry!
One extra page with lines for more space to write; print on the back of any other prompt or as a separate sheet for students who need more room or to allow students to elaborate.
Click here to buy the year long bundle and save 25% - 220 writing prompts in all!
30 Writing Prompts included:
- This summer I...
- My favorite memory from summer is...
- On the night before the first day of school I felt ______, because... (draw a picture)
- When I walked into my new classroom on the first day I... (draw a picture)
- A Poem about the First Day of School
- I want my new teacher to know that I... (2 versions)
- This year I'm looking forward to...
- I can't wait to learn about ________, because.... (2 versions)
- My favorite resource class is _______, because....
- My favorite specials class is _______, because....
- My favorite kinds of books to read are... (2 versions)
- My favorite subject is _______, because.... (2 versions)
- My Top 5 Goals for this School Year
- An acrostic poem about SCHOOL.
- If I were principal of the school I would...
- If I were in charge of the school I would...
- If I could make a new school rule it'd be... (draw a picture)
- If I could make a new class rule it'd be... (draw a picture)
- A Poem about Lunch
- At school my friends and I like to...
- My favorite sport to play at school is...
- My favorite game to play at school is...
- If I could have any class job I'd want to... (draw a picture)
- My favorite classroom job is... (draw a picture)
- Write a story about getting locked in the classroom overnight! (draw a picture)
- After school I... (3 versions)
- One day I walked into my classroom and my teacher said... (draw a picture)
- One day _______ was out and we had a robot substitute! When the morning bell rang the robot said...
- Write about a field trip to outer space. (draw a picture)
- If I could bring any item for show and tell I'd bring... (draw a picture)
Check out the following back to school products:
Back to School Bookmarks
Back to School Funny Fill-In
Wild about School Coloring Pages and Bookmarks
Back to School Identifying Letters Freebie
Back to School Color by Number
Back to School Add and Color Activity
Back to School Subtract and Color Activity
Back to School Multiply and Color Activity
Back to School Divide and Color Activity
Back to School Identifying Nouns and Verbs Activity
Back to School Comparing Decimals Activity
Back to School Prime and Composite Numbers Activity
Back to School Pack
Fall Writing Prompts (K-2)
If you find this product useful please leave feedback below. To follow my store click here and then click on the green Follow Me star at the top of the page.