It's all here! This bundle contains everything you need to teach a fantastic unit on viruses and bacteria to your biology or life science students. From the engaging PowerPoint to the final unit test, this bundle contains loads of NO PREP materials that are ready to be copied and passed out to your students.
What is included in this bundle?
- 73-Slide PowerPoint Presentation
- Lecture notes for the teacher
- Guided notes outline for the student
- Virus and Bacteria Task Cards (Set of 65 cards)
- Lab: Controlling Bacterial Growth
- Lab: Microorganisms in the School Environment
- Lab: Soil Communities
- Lab: The Effect of Antiseptics and Disinfectants
- Virus Homework / Study Guide
- Virus Crossword Puzzle
- Virus Jeopardy Review Game
- Virus Quiz
- Bacteria Homework / Study Guide
- Bacteria Crossword Puzzle
- Bacteria Jeopardy Review Game
- Bacteria Quiz
- Viruses and Bacteria Unit Test
When appropriate, I have included each product as an editable Word document, and I have also included each product in pdf form. Each of these products is sold separately in my TpT store, but buying the entire unit in one download will save you money. If each of these products were purchased separately, the total cost would be $44.25. The bundle sells for $32.99, which is a discount of 25%.
Complete and detailed answer keys are included for each product.
What does this unit cover?
- What is a virus? Includes definitions and the work of two scientists: Beijerinck and Stanley.
- Characteristics of Viruses
- Students will label a diagram of a virus and define each structure.
- Parts of a virus: capsid, nucleic acid, host specificity.
- Viruses: Living or Nonliving? Covers both living and nonliving characteristics of viruses.
- Viral reproduction: How do they do it? Includes lytic and lysogenic cycles. Students will label diagrams of both types of reproduction.
- Comparison of Viruses and Cells: Students will fill in a chart comparing viruses to cells.
- Viral Diseases
- Viroids and Prions
- Introduction to Bacteria
- Classification of Prokaryotes: Archaebacteria and Eubacteria
- Archaebacteria: Characteristics, methanogens, halophiles, and thermoacidophiles.
- Characteristics of Bacteria
- Structure of a bacterial cell: Students will label a diagram of a bacterial cell. All cell structures are fully explained and defined.
- How do bacteria obtain energy? Discussion of heterotrophs, autotrophs, parasites, saprophytes, photosynthesis, chemosynthesis, obligate aerobes, obligate anaerobes, and facultative anaerobes.
- Growth and reproduction of bacteria: requirements for growth, binary fission, conjugation, endospore formation
- The importance of bacteria: Role of decomposers, nitrogen fixation, human uses of bacteria.
- Bacterial diseases in humans: Ways bacteria cause disease, pathogens, vaccines, antibiotics.
- Symbiotic relationships: mutualism, commensalism, and parasitism is discussed.
The following products are included in this bundle. Click on the link below for a detailed preview of each product.
Viruses and Bacteria Powerpoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Viruses and Bacteria Task Cards
Lab: Controlling Bacterial Growth
Test: Bacteria and Viruses
Lab: Microorganisms in School (Growing Bacteria)
Lab: Soil Communities (Testing for Bacteria in the Soil)
Viruses: Homework and Study Guide
Bacteria Homework / Study Guide
Viruses Crossword Puzzle
Bacteria and Prokaryotes Crossword Puzzle
Viruses Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
Biology Lab: The Effect of Antiseptics and Disinfectants on Bacterial Growth
Bacteria Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
I also have a set of virus and bacteria warm ups / interactive notebook pages on viruses and bacteria. These are NOT included in the bundle, but are a perfect supplement to the bundle. Use this link to view the warm ups: Virus and Bacteria Warm Ups and Interactive Notebook Pages
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page