A Bad Case of Stripes, by David Shannon, book companion. There are 13 different ELA scripted lessons to guide your reading workshop instruction. (You can also use this resource to support a basal program, guided reading lessons, or a read aloud.) All 13 lessons include colorful posters to display as anchor charts, as well as student reproducibles that accompany every lesson.
The common core correlation is explicitly stated in this resource, suitable for grades 2-4. The following learning targets are included in this unit:
1. I can identify a cause and effect relationship with Camilla Cream in the story A Bad Case of Stripes.
2. I can identify the main character in the story. I can explain how the main character grows and changes from the beginning to the end of the story.
3. I can describe characters in a story (e.g., their traits, motivations, or feelings) and explain how their actions contribute to the sequence of events. Or, I can identify how Camilla’s actions contributed to the sequence of events.
4. I can identify the character traits of Camilla Cream.
5. I can infer specific character traits about Camilla Cream. I can use clues about the character’s actions, words, and feelings to make an inference. I can use the text to support my thinking.
6. I can identify the point of view of A Bad Case of Stripes. I can support my thinking by using evidence from the text.
7. I can identify the author’s purpose of A Bad Case of Stripes. I can support my thinking by using evidence from the text.
8. I can ask and answer thick questions before, during, and after I read.
9. I can compare and contrast two stories with the same theme/topic.
10. I can identify the theme of A Bad Case of Stripes.
11. I can identify the theme of the story, A Bad Case of Stripes, using the text for support.
12. I can write a summary of the story.
13. I can identify Camilla’s external (outside) and internal (inside) character traits. I can use the text to support my ideas.
This unit ends with a reading celebration- a Camilla Cream art project.
This unit includes directions, colorful and unique anchor charts, and pictures.
This unit will complement your reading workshop or even a basal reading program. All you will need is a copy of the mentor text, A Bad Case of Stripes, by David Shannon...which is probably already on your bookshelf right now! :)
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me: