I am very excited to bring you this Bundle of Balanced Readers!
- Balanced Readers are short stories focused on specific phonics or spelling patterns.
- They are a combination of decodable and predictable readers that help bring a balanced approach to reading.
- Students in need of direct phonics instruction with vocabulary and comprehension included.
- English language learners in all grades.
- Students with dyslexia who need repeated practice on phonics rules and spelling patterns.
- Upper elementary, middle school, and even high school students who have yet to master the phonics rules and need practice with work that is age-appropriate and NOT babyish!
- Advanced readers in first or second grade who are ready for a challenge.
I am BEYOND excited to now be partnering with Lexile and bringing you levels for the Balanced Readers!!
- Each passage has been professionally leveled by Lexile and has been correlated to F&P, AR, DRA, and the grade level equivalent.
Now you'll be able to make teaching decisions for each passage based on the levels and student abilities.
- If the text is independent for students, have them work on it in a center, as an exit slip, review, homework, etc.
- If the text is instructional, use it in Guided Reading, partner work, in a strategy group, or as an intervention.
- If the text is advanced, use it as a mentor text or whole class read aloud.
These are just a few examples of instructional use.
- 20 passages focused on a specific phonics or spelling pattern
- Google Drive digital versions
- Dyslexic-friendly font based on multiple sources of research (arial)
- 20 comprehension Pages (multiple choice and open-ended)
- 20 word work practice pages (complete the sentence, Create the sentence)
- 20 suffixes practice pages (learn how words change when common endings are added)
- Answer Keys
There will be 180 stories with 4 days of support for each when the bundle is complete!
Follow the 4-Day Guide!
Day 1: Phonics and Vocabulary
Day 2: Comprehension
Day 3: Word Comprehension
Day 4: Suffixes and Tenses
Each story includes beautiful custom artwork, created exclusively for Out of This World Literacy by Malaya Bengel Art
ALL BALANCED READERS SETS IN THIS BUNDLE:
- Consonant Blends
- Consonant Digraphs
- Long Vowel Pairs
- Magic -e
- R-controlled Vowels
- Short Vowels
- Special Consonant Patterns
- Vowel Digraphs
- Vowel Diphthongs
- When my son Jonah was in 5th grade he struggled with reading and I was about to pull my hair out after going over the same phonics and spelling rules for the 1,002 time.
- I started thinking about decodable readers. Then I did a TON of research on both decodable and predictable readers.
- I wanted to create something that is a balance between having intentional, repeated, phonics practice AND a whole language approach, where students study illustrations and vocabulary within the context of a story to help solve new words.
- It's also very important to me to create work that helps students (especially those who struggle) develop reading confidence and a love of reading.
- From this, I created Balanced Readers!
Copyright © 2020 Jen Bengel
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.
You can find this resource inside the membership by CLICKING HERE
Interested in becoming a member? LEARN MORE HERE