This resource is aligned with two NGSS for 3rd Grade.
3-PS2-1. Plan and conduct an investigation to provide evidence of the effects of balanced and unbalanced forces on the motion of an object.
3-PS2-2. Make observations and/or measurements of an object’s motion to provide evidence that a pattern can be used to predict future motion.
This resource includes three hands-on lessons using easy to get an inexpensive materials. The hands-on activities include building a roller coaster, making a ping pong ball launcher and designing an experiment to test and measure an object’s motion.
This resource also includes a slide show on how to design an experiment. A nonfiction article on balanced and unbalanced forces is also included. This article can be used for a CLOSE reading lesson that is included.
There are response pages to go with each experiment and also to go along with the article and slideshow. Interactive notebook flaps are also included.
This resource addresses the following science concepts:
Looking for Patterns
Planning an Investigation
Science and Engineering Practices Students Will Use:
1. Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
2. Developing and using models
3. Planning and carrying out investigations
4. Analyzing and interpreting data
5. Using mathematics and computational thinking
6. Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
7. Engaging in argument from evidence
8. Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
Please leave feedback. Feedback earns you valuable tpt credit that you can use to purchase future items.
This resource is also available in several bundles and units:
Complete Physical Science Unit for 3rd Grade NGSS 3-PS-1-4
STEM Force and Motion Unit NGSS 3-PS2-1 and 3-PS2-2
3rd Grade NGSS Science Lesson Bundle SAVE 20%
If you like this resource please see my other resources for third grade:
3rd Grade Complete Life Science Unit
Third Grade Objects In Motion 3-PS2-2
Life Cycle of a Rabbit