This is a copy of the poem that also has instructions for marking up the text.
This lesson emphasizes rhyme scheme, alliteration and repetition.
1. Assign a different student to read each stanza
(there is also a Johnny Cash version of the poem on YouTube)
2. Interpret the poem in your own words (direct instruction)
3. Choose three colors to represent the three different poetic devices
4. Highlight some examples in each category (guided practice)
5. Students finish highlighting on their own (independent practice)