This lesson goes with the story Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet.
The story is a biography of Tony Sarg who helped design the balloons for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The activities include, story structure, sequencing, cause and effect, word search, scrabble make-a-word, character traits, letter writing
I hope you and your students love this story and activities. I wanted to do something different for Thanksgiving and I know how much I look forward to this parade each year.
1. Time Line Have students cut out the events from the story and arrange them in order on a piece of large construction paper cut in half lengthwise to make a timeline. There aren’t many exact dates in the story, but it’s a good way to sequence a non-fiction piece like this.
2. Story Structure Map Students get practice with identifying author, illustrator, characters, setting and genre.
3. Cause/Effect Activity Students either supply the cause or effect
4. Write a letter to Mr. Macy asking him to include your idea for a new balloon
5. Character traits, supply character traits about the main character
6. Evidence, supply story events that support character traits
7. Word Search, just for fun!
8. Scrabble Make-a-word, students make as many words as they can with the letters from the title
9 Smartboard Please download my Smartboard lesson that accompanies this story from my TpT store.