A few tips on how I conducted each activity!
Thank you for looking through my store and settling on the picture book project of Balloons Over Broadway! I wanted to give you some ideas on how I used each activity, but please feel free to use the activities in any way that you see fit.
(1) YouTube Video: I begin this project by showing the Youtube video Read Out Loud BALLOONS OVER BROADWAY. It is from the channel KidLit TV. It is a great read aloud that gets the students interested in the story.
(2) Storefront & Balloon Slideshow: I gather pictures of storefronts and balloons, and I show the students to get some inspiration for their project.
(3) Storefront Options: I start with the Storefront Options page where the students simply pick some of the storefronts that they liked from the slideshow. They will cut this list to two for their selection page.
(4) Storefront Selection: I make two copies of this page, and I have the students select the two storefronts that they want to illustrate for their final parade drawing. During this part of the project, they will add the defining attributes of the building that sets it apart from other buildings in New York.
(5) Balloon Ideas: The students can sketch different balloon ideas that they would want to include in their parade. They then use some of these ideas for the final drawing with the storefronts.
(6) Final Drawing: The students, using all of the other materials, complete a final drawing of their cityscape with storefronts and their selected balloons.
I hope you enjoy!