Also included in
- Includes TpT Digital version for Google Classroom remote learning.Have your best Thanksgiving ever with Thanksgiving Read Aloud STEM Challenges! Includes 5 Thanksgiving Activities and lessons as amazing companion activities to our favorite Thanksgiving Read Aloud Books: Balloons Over Broadway by Mel$12.00$17.50Save $5.50
- Integrate STEM and Literacy in your classroom all year with READ ALOUD STEM Volume One! Everything you need to be the Master STEM Teacher at your school! Awaken imagination and creativity all year. Students learn coding, engineering, explore real world problems, learn about STEM role models, pioneer$100.00$158.00Save $58.00
Have a classroom Thanksgiving Day Parade! INCLUDES DIGITAL VERSION FOR DISTANCE LEARNING!
Make learning fun with this Thanksgiving STEAM challenge in which students design their very own Thanksgiving Day Parade Balloon! An excellent companion activity to the fall read aloud book Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet.
Not only do students design the balloon, but as an added challenge they must create a device to keep it floating in the air!
Students plan, design, and execute their own ideas. After they have completed their activity, there is time for reflection on what worked and what didn't.
After the balloons are created, have a classroom Thanksgiving Day Parade and a contest to see who made the best balloon!
Included Extension Activity Ideas:
Included with this resource are two extension ideas to add technology to the challenge. The first one is to attach the balloon to a robot and code a parade path. The other extension activity is to use a green screen (Do Ink App) to video the parade balloons and add a photo of New York in the background.
Aligns with NGSS and Common Core.
- Teacher and Student Instructions
- Student Planning Pages
- Student Reflection Pages
- STEAM Journal
- Contest Voting Cards and Award
- NGSS and Common Core Standards
- Easel Activity Version for Distance Learning
This activity comes with Digital Version using TpT Digital with Google Classroom for Distance Learning.
- Decorations Such as Ribbons or String
- Popsicle Sticks
- Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet (recommended)
ALIGNS TO NGSS
K-2-ETS1-2 Engineering Design
Develop a simple sketch, drawing, or physical model to illustrate how
the shape of an object helps it function as needed to solve a given
K-2-ETS1-3 Engineering Design
Analyze data from tests of two objects designed to solve the same problem to compare the strengths and weaknesses of how each performs.
3-5-ETS1-2 Engineering Design
Generate and compare multiple solutions to a problem based on
how well each is likely to meet the criteria and constraints of the
3-5-ETS1-3 Engineering Design
Plan and carry out fair tests in which variables are controlled and failure points are considered to identify aspects of a model or prototype that can be improved.