Also included in
- Looking for unique ways to create art with your students? Made in America: Abstract Expressionist Art, designed specifically for elementary students from TK and up, is a collection of 8 art lessons focusing on 8 different abstract artists: Richard Diebenkorn, Helen Frankenthaler, Jane Frank, EllsworPrice $20.00Original Price $27.25Save $7.25
This À la cART lesson introduces students to abstract expressionism and the New York School of artists. They will learn about Barnett Newman, sketch ‘zip’ lines and experience with the push-pull color theory.
You will Receive
- 29-page, non-editable PDF
- a single class (60 minute) duration art project
- an introduction script to read aloud with questions to engage students
- list of different art techniques used
- step-by-step instructions with pictures
- common core art standards
- extension activity: mazes
Total of 29 pages
I design À la cART lessons to be completed with simple art supplies as it is difficult enough trying to cart materials from one classroom to another: watercolor paper, pencils, ruler, colored crayons, watercolor paint and optional, extra fine sharpies.
Approximate Time Needed
The time needed will depend on the age group of students but usually takes approximately 45-60 minutes for the read-aloud introduction and art lesson, extra for extension activities.
Read Aloud Introduction
You do NOT need any art and / or art history knowledge to teach À la cART lessons – it is all laid out for you. The read-aloud introduction introduces the artist and explains art movement and techniques pertinent to the lesson; with questions guiding student conversation.
I like using visuals to support my lessons. Due to copyright infringement, Barnett Newman’s original art pieces are not included but I have listed the artist and title of the artwork. You can do a Google image search and then share with the class by projecting on a smartboard or whiteboard.
Common Core Art Standards
(4.VA:Cr2.1.4a) Explore and invent art-making techniques and approaches
(6.VA:Re7.2.6a) Analyze ways that visual components and cultural associations suggested by images influence ideas, emotions, and actions.
Perfect for grades TK – 8, homeschooling
Thank you for visiting my store. Please stay Connected!
You can see ALL my art projects in one place by clicking www.irmagrant.com
Instagram – follow À la cART Teacher to be the first to learn about new products and reduced prices.
I welcome feedback. If you have any ideas or concerns, please email me directly at email@example.com
À la cART Teaching
In downloading this item, you agree that you are purchasing a single user license limited to single classroom use only. It does not give you copyright. All teaching materials sold by À la cART Teaching are for personal classroom use only and may not be adapted, re-sold, distributed, or translated into any other language for re-sale. You may not remove the graphic credit in any of my teaching materials.
In order to legally use this resource in more than one classroom or district, you will require a multiple user license.