Welcome to my Short Story Resource Package for “Bartleby the Scrivener: A Story of Wall Street” by Herman Melville . This package is designed to contain everything a teacher would need to teach this short story, as well as dozen of pages of resources to help with your short story unit in general. This is 98 pages worth of activities, lessons, and assessments, all common core standards aligned!
This package is broken into five parts so that you can easily choose which parts you wish to use. Each section can be used independently within your own plans or together to form the basis of a full unit. Enjoy!
1. The first part contains the full short story, a summary of the 6 elements of the short story, a 20 word vocabulary list with a teacher key, 20 reading comprehension questions with a teacher key, and a group discussion jigsaw activity.
2. The second part contains general lessons on the elements of a short story, character types, character sketches, characterization, and fining themes in a story.
3. The third part contains the printable worksheets that support each of the lessons from the previous section.
4. The fourth section contains two possible short story assignments. The first is a comparison paragraph activity comparing elements of two separate stories from your short story unit. It comes complete with instructions, a paragraph format sample, a worksheet, and grading rubric. The second is a 5 Paragraph essay assignment focusing on themes, motifs, or symbols. It comes with instructions, an essay format sample, an essay planning worksheet, and grading rubric.
5. The fifth and final section contains all of the Common Core Standards that apply to this resource package for the convenience of those of you who work in schools that use them.
Thank you for your interest, I know you'll love this resource.