In this packet I have bundled together seven separate novel studies that I have created to use with students in grades 4-8 who are reading baseball themed novels. Novel studies included are listed below; just click on the title for more information.
1) Heat, by Mike Lupica
2) Babe and Me, by Dan Gutman
3) Keeping Score, by Linda Sue Park
4) Shoeless Joe and Me, by Dan Gutman
5) The Big Field, by Mike Lupica
6) The Boy Who Saved Baseball, by John H. Ritter
7) The Lucky Baseball Bat, by Matt Christopher
Each of these is also sold separately in my Teachers Pay Teachers store, but by purchasing this bundled packet, you will get 7 for the price of 4! A big savings for you and a convenience to have all of these novel studies on hand to use with students who enjoy learning and reading about baseball!
Each individual novel study is designed as a separate workbook with clear instructions to go with the tasks and activities in order to support independent work. A separate answer key is provided for each novel study. The student workbooks offer the following components:
1. separate weekly reading assignments for the text
2. vocabulary practice and vocabulary bookmarks
3. activities to demonstrate and reinforce comprehension
4. reading skills practice that includes: visualizing, questioning, clarifying, making connections, cause and effect, inference, recognizing point-of-view, author’s purpose, and determining character traits
5. practice with language skills (such as similes, metaphors, onomatopoeia, interpreting expressions)
6. writing practice for describing, explaining, and/or summarizing
Most of the tasks that appear in the student workbooks promote close reading and are aligned with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). They are designed to prepare students with the higher level skills needed for eventual high school and college work.
**The original purchaser of this document is granted permission to copy for teaching purposes only. If you are NOT the original purchaser, please download the item from my store before making any copies. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item or any part thereof on the Internet is strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to be granted special permission.**