Use this basic essay format for any essay that requires students to compare and contrast multiple sources. I made this with 6th graders in mind as they are starting to move beyond the standard 5-paragraph essay and are expected to elevate their writing about reading. Having a structure is helpful for them to start this much more sophisticated way of writing. Additionally, state testing calls for this type of writing as well.
*** This product is not a student activity. It is a reference for students to use to write their own essays. It was created in Google Slides and is NOT a PDF. However, you can save it as a PDF. ***
The format focuses on the following:
- Introductory and closing statements (not paragraphs).
- Evidence and elaboration stems.
- Body paragraph set up.
- Using focused highlighting to organize the essay.
- Using samples to assist with understanding.
This structure is NOT the standard 5-paragraph essay. The essay length depends on the number of sources and body paragraphs zero in on specific sources each.
- Detailed checklists.
- Topic sentence creation guidance.
- Evidence and elaboration stems to use within paragraphs
- Sample highlighted essay.
- Blank slides for you to add your own tips, sentences, or essay.
These products pair perfectly with this reference!:
- Writing Workshop: DIGITAL Editable Rubric
- Text Evidence: Writing about Reading Digital Interactive Slides
- Literary Essay Writing: DIGITAL Interactive Notebook
- Finding and Using Text Evidence: Digital Interactive Notebook
- Research Digital Notebooks (Tapping the Power of Non-fiction, Essay, Group Book)
- Literary Analysis Essay Digital Interactive Notebook: PARCC Prep
- Topic Sentence Centers: Literary Essay (Paired Text) and Test Prep
- PARCC Research Simulation Task: Digital Interactive Notebook
© Copyright 2021 M. Mariano. All rights reserved. Permission is granted to copy pages specifically designed for student or teacher use by the original purchaser or licensee. This is intended to be used by one teacher unless additional licenses have been purchased. The reproduction of any other part of this product is strictly prohibited.