This non fiction bat unit includes a bat informational text reader, informational bat writing activities, a bat craft, resources to compare different bat species, learn about bat pups, the bat life cycle, and more! The bat reader and bat vocabulary cards feature real life photographs. This unit would be a great addition to your October/November science and writing curriculum!
Here is what’s included:
Informational Text Reader – BATS
- features real bat photographs on every page. 2 sizes are included – full page (great for projecting on interactive whiteboards) and half page (for student copies). 9 pages.
Reading Comprehension Questions for Informational Text Reader
- multiple choice, 2 versions – one with space for students to cite which page they found the answer and the other without.
Bat Vocabulary Cards
- real photographs, words are: bat, colony, fly, pup, wing, fur, nocturnal, insect, fruit, roost, mammal, hibernate, hand upside down, migrate, nectar, night, echolocation (this card is the only one that has digital graphics and not a real photo)
Informative Writing Resources
- Great for bat research writing!
Graphic Organizer 1
- Bats tree map – can, have, are
Graphic Organizer 2
- For writing a rough draft, spaces for writing a topic sentence, three bat facts and a closing sentence.
Bat Themed Writing Paper
- 3 choices
Megabats vs. Microbats
- a cut/paste activity where students sort labeled pictures into the correct column. 2 options – one for a printable and the other for an interactive notebook.
Bat Facts Shape Book
- a bat shaped book for students to write bat facts and draw pictures of their facts. 2 writing page options – one with lines and the labels “Fact #1” (etc.) and the other with lines only.
Life Cycle of a Bat
Informational Text Passage – All About Bat Pups
- a one page passage with a real bat pup photograph and reading comprehension questions.
Life Cycle of a Bat – Cut/Paste Activity
- a cut/paste activity for 4 phases of a bat’s life cycle. Key included.
Life Cycle of a Bat Book
- a book illustrated with 4 phases of a bat’s life cycle and blank lines for students to write about each phase.
Bat KWL Chart
Diagram of a Bat
- a cut/paste activity for students to label the parts of a bat. Key included.
Comparing Bat Species – Giant Flying Fox vs. Kitti’s Hog-Nosed
- a table with facts about each bat and comprehension questions.
Venn Diagram – Giant Flying Fox vs. Kitti’s Hog-Nosed
Venn Diagram – Vampire Bats vs. Fruit Bats
- this craftivity comes with complete directions, picture samples, templates, and display ideas.
To see all of what is included please download a free preview! Feel free to email me with any questions.
Over the 1st Grade Rainbow
You may also like my :
All About Turkeys ~ Close Reading Informational Text + Extended Activities
In My Haunted House ~ A Halloween Writing Project
The Pumpkin Book ~ Close Reading Informational Text Study + Extended Activities
All About Christopher Columbus
The Witch and Her Cat ~ A Halloween Preposition Activity Book