This is a simulation created for 2nd-5th grade gifted students, although regular education students should be able to complete it with differentiation and added guidance.
This simulation is comprised of different tasks that students complete independently as a culminating activity to our baseball unit. It has 5 different tasks included--
1. Find a home--Research cities that don't have a MLB team and decide which one would be best for your new team.
2. Public image--create a team name, colors, logo, uniforms, and t-shirts for your team. (Templates for uniforms and t-shirts included.)
3. Build a team--research manager records and hire the best for your team; research player salaries and hire the best players but stay under the salary cap!
4. Make a schedule--use the guidelines concerning your division rivals and number of games to create a season-long schedule. (You'd be surprised how much critical thinking it takes to get all the necessary games scheduled!)
5. Extension activities--create food for your concession stands, make a print ad and a commercial for your team, find celebrities from your team's town or state to throw out the first pitch, sing the National Anthem, or lead the crowd in "Take Me Out to the Ballgame!"