Encourage reading and writing sight words with this fun scavenger hunt made especially for Junior Kindergarteners!
• Cut out and laminate beach balls for durability.
• Run copies of Sight Word List page.
• Post sight word beach balls in various locations around the room.
• Provide each student with the Sight Word List Sheet and a clipboard.
• Send students off to locate each sight word.
• When all students have located all sight words, encourage them to “check in” with you by reading each one aloud to you.
• Feel free to add your own sight words to the last few beach balls to cater to your teaching!
This write the room activity was self-designed for a Junior Kindergarten classroom in late Spring, particularly for students beginning to show readiness in reading sight words. It is also a great addition to a summer school literacy program at the Kindergarten level.