Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
2.8 MB | 29 pages
**This product was updated on 2-2-16 with a new format. This file is now a zip file with two separate components to avoid any confusion using the animations and accessing the reproducibles.**
Have your students "go wild" with this activity pack designed to increase basic addition fact fluency. The animal-themed activity pack uses the well-known Beanie Babies toys as visual aids for modeling mental math strategies for addition facts to 20. Visualization of math ideas strengthens the link between concept development and the use of mathematical strategies in memorizing basic facts. A similar approach has been used for teaching decoding and comprehension skills in reading. Now, the effectively creative method has been newly incorporated to the realm of mathematics, anchoring addition strategies to visual models which act as mnemonic devices for the internalization of addition concepts.
This activity packet includes:
- Several newly developed addition strategies linked to a visual model.
- A unique, animated PowerPoint presentation demonstrating each strategy.
- Colorful posters outlining the steps for each strategy.
- Desk tags for easy student reference.
- Focused activities for practicing each strategy with answer keys.
- Leveled practice that incorporates all the strategies in one activity. Students must use number patterns and relationships to determine which strategy to use to solve problems.
- Activities are aligned to the Common Core.
All strategies and activities are aligned with the Common Core. Standards specifically addressed are 1.OA.5, 1.OA.6 and 2.OA.B2.
This product was developed using a MacBook Pro and Microsoft Office for Mac. There are two files in this download. One is a PowerPoint Read Only file. The PowerPoint file consists of animations which can be run in the Read Only format. The second file is in PDF format. The PDF file consists of reproducibles that you can print out for your students to practice the strategies. If there are any problems with your download (such as formatting issues, for example), please contact me and I will make any adjustments necessary. There should be no compatibility problems as I have tested the file on multiple platforms. I will be happy to address any issue before you leave feedback. I aim to make high quality, highly effective and unmatched resources for your students' growth. Thank you for making me a part of a global educational community that reaches learners through technology.