English Rocks! Beanstalks to Castles! An ESL, ELL, ELD, EFL Magazine-Gr. 3-4 Expanding/Bridging
Beanstalks to Castles! is the first issue of English Rocks! a magazine developed especially for expanding and bridging ESL, ELL, ELD, and EFL students in grades 3-4. This resource can be used in a variety of ways to complement your existing curriculum. This twenty-seven page magazine is completely reproducible, is intended for classroom or home use, and contains articles, word puzzles, and activities that students can do by themselves, with a partner or group, or with teacher/adult intervention and help.
The topic and story covered in this issue is Jack and the Beanstalk, with articles about growing and eating beans, and passages about hens, giants, gold, and harps. Note: The passage regarding cooking beans refers to fresh Lima beans, not dried.
Have you ever presented a lesson, looked at the clock, and then realized that you have ten or fifteen minutes of free time? Have you ever wanted a resource which would allow your students to have time to work independently or with a partner? English Rocks! Can be used during these times, giving students the opportunity to work independently or with a friend as they read articles, read the main story, and work on word puzzles and activities.
Expanding and bridging English Language Learners in Grades 3-4 should enjoy the activities, passages, and puzzles as they get the chance to hone their reading and communication skills. The magazine has been structured so that you can work on the passages and puzzles as a class, or allow students to work in small groups, with a partner, or independently. No teacher instructions have been included at the bottom of the pages, so that students can get the feeling of reading magazines, and so that the pages do not look like or function as a text book.
The hope is that students and teachers enjoy the experience of reading a magazine developed just for them!
*Common Core Standards are included.
Included in the Magazine:
1) a letter to the students explaining what the magazine is about
2) a letter to teachers and parents explaining how to present the
magazine to expanding and bridging students, and how to use
the magazine with emerging students at this grade level
3) table of contents
4) supporting illustrations for passages/articles
5) a picture and word puzzle
6) a passage about planting beans
7) an article about cooking fresh lima beans
8) directions for planting your own lima beans in plastic bags
9) an article about hens and eggs
10) an article about giants (challenge article)
11) a poem about harps
12) an article about gold
13) the story, Jack and the Beanstalk, in four parts, including
14) directions for using the four pages of Jack and the Beanstalk
to make a book that students can share with each other
15) a poem about beanstalks and castles
16) an activity – Find and Count the Pictures
17) an activity – What Does Not Belong?
18) a scrambled word activity
19) a word search puzzle
20) eighteen cut-out cards for a matching card-game
21) an answer key for puzzles and possible answers to questions
which are included at the end of most passages
22) each passage has been Lexile leveled to grades 2-3, except
f or Giants, a challenge article which is leveled at grades 4-5
Many thanks to Little Red’s Clip Art. Your art is wonderful and fun!
Additional thanks to Technology Integration Depot – Your puzzle
maker programs are invaluable!
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Crossword-Puzzle- Machine-1052941 and https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Crossword-Puzzle-Word-Search-Combo-1053294