"Bears in a Cave" is a fun activity for first and second grade to practice the missing addend. Perfect for partner station time!
1. Provide each student at the station with 10 counting bears (or other small manipluatives, a "cave" (large bowl flipped upside down), and a dice.
2. Student #1 rolls the dice while student #2 turns their back.
3. Student #1 places the matching number of bears in the cave for the amount on the dice.
4. Student #2 begins to fill in the 10 frame with x's with the leftover bears.
5. Student #2 fills in the left over boxes with o's. The o's represent the missing addend.
Students who begin to understand number pairs within 10, will begin to see the pattern of a what is in the cave and what is left out.