Learn how to draw and paint beautiful butterflies, with step-by-step instructions.
A remarkable transformation takes place when a caterpillar forms itself into a pupa, also known as a chrysalis. Then something amazing happens —the body of the caterpillar transforms into an adult butterfly!
(Approximately 45 minutes)
• Discuss metamorphosis from cocoon to
• Use fine motor skills to draw a butterfly.
• Use of symmetry to draw a butterfly.
• Use lines, shapes and patterns to create a
• Talk to students about grace and allow for
mistakes. Mistakes often give us ideas we may
not come up with deliberately.
• 9” x 12” white construction paper
• Fine-point black permanent markers
• Washable markers
• Watercolor Paint