: This novel unit for comes complete with a detailed teacher guide, anchor slides, student activities (printable and digital), a bulletin board set, vocabulary and work work practice, and response activities.
This novel unit is so much more than comprehension questions and vocabulary practice!
YOU'RE looking for an all-in-one completely ENGAGING novel resource that your students will love (and will be a breeze for you to teach!)
Good news - you have found the resource you are looking for!
"One of the best resources I have purchased on TpT! It is one of the best novel studies I have used. It made my life much less complicated while working with students both in-person and virtually! I will be buying another one shortly! Thank you!" Third Grade is a Charm - 3rd grade teacher
HOW IT WORKS:
Each lesson has 3 components to help you structure your instruction effortlessly.
- Introduction - During this portion of the lesson you'll introduce important reading skills and strategies that students will be working on that day. You'll cover important vocabulary as well as check for comprehension from previous reading.
- Lesson Activity - In this section students will read and engage with the text using a variety of activities and instructional formats. Students keep all their learning in one place using the student activity packet. Here they complete activities, journal their thoughts about their reading, and check for comprehension. Each lesson is unique and will keep things interesting for students! By the end of the unit, students will have learned several new reading skills that they practiced inside the text.
- Lesson Reflection - Bring students back together at the end of the lesson to review, share, and discuss what they have read.
"This resources is absolutely amazing! I would love it if you would make even more novel studies, because I want to buy them all! The PowerPoint is fantastic and follows along with the packet the students have. I printed all of the pages and put them in a prong folder for each student. We discussed and completed the pages together each day. I love that each few chapters has a skill that is focused on instead of only doing one skill the entire study. I was observed by my principal when I was completing this novel study and he was blown away! The reflection at the end of each day is a great way to wrap up the lesson. Thank you for such a wonderful product!" - Whitney A., 3rd grade teacher
- Teacher Guide with everything you need for each lesson. All needed resources are downloadable directly from the guide making prep a breeze! The teacher guide includes a unit overview, 10 daily lesson plans (some lasting more then 1 day) aligned with CCSS for grades 3-5, and details for end-of-unit projects. The lesson plans include detailed information about student objective, common core state standards, materials needed, teacher preparation required, and the steps on how to conduct the lesson. You'll even find sample anchor charts and answer keys embedded right into the teacher guide.
- 43 anchor slides provided in PowerPoint, PDF, or PGN image files. These slides help you teach each lesson.
- Student activities to go along with each daily lesson. Student resources are printable OR Google Classroom compatible. Interactive vocabulary activities and comprehension questions are provided for each lesson.
- Additional learning activities to go along with daily lessons including. "Meet the Author" article, student discussion prompt cards, pairing nonfiction and fiction activities, cause/effect cut and paste activity, summarizing practice, character maps, and more! (Google Classroom Compatible - where applicable)
- A colorful bulletin board set to help reinforce content learned.
- 3 end-of-unit activities to wrap up your novel unit. (Google Classroom Compatible - where applicable)
- Teacher video tutorial to help you get organized
- A student observation sheet to record information about student performance during the unit and to collect student data.
- A student bookmark to give to your students during the unit.
SKILLS & STRATEGIES TAUGHT IN THIS UNIT
- What is realistic fiction?
- Character study
- Identifying theme and evidence to support the theme
- Cause and effect events
- Pairing fiction with nonfiction
- Connecting themes found in the book.
"I used this novel study in the fall and I loved it! I used it mostly digital, but printed some things as well. I loved the neat activities and the kids had so much fun with what we did as well as just reading this heartfelt book. The skills where a great variety and the there was so much to choose from. I highly recommend it!!" Beth S.
MORE NOVEL UNITS: