Also included in
- Save time and money with this bundle of 6 of my top-selling novel study packets! *Frindle by Andrew Clements Updated 2020*Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo Updated 2020*Holes by Louis Sachar Updated 2020*Charlotte's Web by E.B. White Updated 2020*Number the Stars by Lois Lowry Updated 2020*The$40.00$59.70Save $19.70
This comprehensive Because of Winn-Dixie novel study resource includes EVERYTHING YOU NEED to teach the book Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo. Simplify your lesson planning with this print-and-go unit. UPDATE: This download now includes a DIGITAL version your students can complete online through Google classroom.
These pages were created to guide your students through the novel, hold them accountable for their reading, and assess their comprehension through a number of fun and challenging activities.
This resource can be used as a whole-class novel study, small group reading groups, or an individual project. You can pick and choose the activities you’d like to use or print out the entire packet for your students to complete. Download the preview for the table of contents and the standards covered in this packet.
The resource includes:
- Because of Winn-Dixie novel study cover page
- Tracking My Progress (student accountability sheet)
- Chapter Activities (one-page comprehension activities for every chapter)
- Dictionary Detective (vocabulary activity: 4 words per chapter)
- Keeping the Characters Straight (character matching quiz)
- Reading Comprehension Final Test
(15-question multiple choice test covering the entire book)
- Chapter Summary graphic organizer
(a blank template that can be filled out for any chapter)
- Character Profiles: Opal and Gloria Dump
(asks the reader to list physical and character traits and similarities/differences between the character and the reader)
- Journal Entries (two writing prompts that ask the student to write from the Opal’s perspective)
- Reading Response Questions (two reading response prompts)
- Letter Writing (two letter writing prompts: one from Opal’s perspective to her missing mama and one from the student’s perspective to recommend the book to a friend)
- Help Needed: Have You Seen My Dog? Missing Dog flyer
- New Candy invention project
- The Book VS the Movie graphic organizer
- Interactive Notebook foldables
(complete student directions are included for each)
- Suggested answers keys (22 pages)
DIGITAL ACTIVITIES: Many of these activities are also available in a DIGITAL format if you would like your students to complete the assignments and submit via Google classroom.
Your students can type their answers in the activities provided in the Google Slides presentation. I have also included a self-grading multiple choice reading comprehension test your students can take after reading the book.
The link to the digital activities is included in the download.
Resource created by: Jessica Lawler
Looking for more novel studies?