NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence it is used in from the book.
Examples of clues:
* “Anyway, Littmus went and ENLISTED.” (syn.) ANSWER: joined
* The rain had let up some. It was mostly a DRIZZLE now. (___ rain; ant.) ANSWER: heavy
* It was Winn-Dixie, whining and BUTTING his head against my bedroom door. (syn.) ANSWER: hitting
* “I imagine I’m the only one that even RECALLS that bear.” (ant.) ANSWER: forgets
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE edition of Bookmarks Plus. See list below.
Also, these same 25 words are contained in my BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE Prereading Crossword, which includes 50 challenging words students will run across in the book. See list below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my products over BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE!
• Bookmarks Plus: BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE edition—Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
• BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE: Prereading Vocab Crossword—50 words! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Because of Winn Dixie edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Because of Winn Dixie Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!