Thank you for checking out my “Because of Winn Dixie Novel Bundle!” I know you will be thrilled with how much time you saved in planning and how much thinking and learning your students will be doing while reading this amazing book.
You will find that this unit is intended to make students think about what they read. They will be actively working in their student journals, practicing reading strategies (not just completing lower level thinking worksheets), learning and using vocabulary, and writing about what they are learning. Many of the included activities can be used with small groups or individual students who might be reading this book. If you are using the book as a read aloud, there are activities to pull and use for listening comprehension as well.
All activities are pretty much “print and go” – the simile craftivity will need a small bit of prep, but many students will be able to do that on their own.
This unit bundle includes:
1. VERY detailed lesson plans – organized by chapter, including vocabulary words, before, during and after reading lessons and reading strategy/focus lessons.
2. Anchor charts, diagrams and any tools necessary to complete the lesson plans. The only thing not included is a copy of “The Recess Queen,” but you can use any book that shows change in character for that lesson, or just not use the book.
3. Student Journal – each student should have a copy of the journal to complete while reading the book and participating in the lessons. Student journals have graphic organizers, quick writing prompts, and extension ideas. Journal is 36 pages long and all in black and white to make copying easy. If you copy the pages front and back or 2 pages per side, that will help in cutting down on the copying as well.
4. Vocabulary ideas – vocabulary is sorted by chapter on a table within the lesson plans. This table gives a suggested activity to go along with introducing the words. Find activity directions, graphic organizers, and word search puzzles to help with vocabulary fluency as well.
5. Tests/Quizzes – I have included 4 different tests/quizzes in this unit bundle (chapters 1-5, 6-10, 11-18, and 19-26). Tests include multiple choice to complete sentences with vocabulary words and short answer questions for reading comprehension. I usually allow my students to use their books to find the information, but that is up to your discretion. Each test has an answer key.
6. Writing Extension Activities – There are directions for different writing extension activities throughout the unit (including finding similes used in the story, writing letters, writing summaries, etc.). Writing extension activity comes with rubrics and/or scoring sheets and booklet covers (if needed).
7. Craftivity – Simple directions to take the simile writing activity and create a fun wall display! Directions and templates included.
8. Bulletin Board/Wall Displays – Various ideas for room decoration that shows what students are learning. Included are story map posters, character comparison charts, and other great anchor charts. All have color and black and white printing options.
9. Readers’ Theater Play – Finish the unit by performing this fun readers’ theater play! Great way to review and invite parents/admin into the room to see what you’re learning. Includes 5 pages for 10 characters.
As you can see, this unit bundle has everything and more than you need to engage your students in active and fun learning while reading “Because of Winn Dixie!” Any you don’t have to stress about the plans or the grading – it’s all prepped for you!
Happy Teaching! - Martha from “The Owl Spot” www.mrshachsowlspot.blogspot.com
Check out my store for Novel Units for these great books:
** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
** The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
** Number the Stars
** Charlotte's Web
** James and the Giant Peach
** Sarah, Plain and Tall
** The Lemonade War
** Alice in Wonderland
** The Giver