PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Engage your students with this fun and interactive poems, chants, and songs lesson plan series!
This lesson series is designed specifically for Grade 1 students but can support Kindergarten and Grade 2 students as well. Teaching using poems, chants, and songs is a fun and engaging way to build student’s literacy skills. The cross-curricular approach in the lesson series will connect literacy learning with specific concepts and expectations in Language, Mathematics, and Science. Students will learn new information about bees and the important role bees play in our world. At the same time, students will build their vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension skills; and develop their understanding of the concept of a word. Teachers can substitute other poems, chants, and songs about bees or other topics, and follow the provided lesson guidelines and concepts.
One poem, chant, or song becomes the focus for the week. Throughout the week, students have opportunities to interact with the text in multiple ways including:
• Choral reading;
• Discussions with their peers;
• Constructing the text individually or in small groups using sentence strips;
• Constructing the text Individually or in small groups using individual word puzzle pieces.
The cross-curricular lesson plan series is aligned to the Common Core State Standards and Ontario Language, Math, and Science Curriculum Expectations. By the end of the lessons, students will be able to:
• Compare some of the physical characteristics of bees;
• Identify how flowers provide nectar for bees, and how bees provide honey for humans;
• Understand and read high-frequency words and read the text at a sufficient rate and with sufficient expression;
• Recreate the text using sentence strips and individual ‘puzzle piece’ words to help build their concept of a word.
Lesson Package Includes complete lesson series plans detailing:
• Big ideas in Science, Language, and Mathematics
• Common Core State Standards
• Ontario Language, Mathematics, and Science Curriculum Expectations
• Learning goals
• Lesson materials
• Learning activities
• Preparation requirements (minimal!)
• Modification and Differentiation considerations
• Formative Assessment tools and strategies
• Photographs showing examples of an anchor chart, sentence strips, and individual word puzzle pieces
• Seven sample poems about bees
The approximate lesson length is 5-10 minutes each day for five days.
You might be interested in these other great products from EJFullerton:
Follow EJFullerton on social media:
Visit my website for additional information, resources, and my educational blog!
This product is Copyright © 2018 by EJFullerton and is intended for use by the purchaser only. Sharing, copying, and/or printing of the file or materials is prohibited to those other than the purchaser without express written permission by the author. Basically, please be honest and fair, and respect the time and effort I put into the creation of this product.
Thanks so much!