This beginning sound match sort is a perfect activity for a Kindergarten or First grade center activity (especially in the fall because its apple themed). The students will sort the apple picture cards into the correct alphabet basket.
This game includes:
- 26 sorting mats
- 130 apple sort cards
- Direction sheet for the sort
- Sort answer key
- Recording sheet with answer key
Please Note: The sound for the letter x is /ks/ does not occur in the beginning of words. I have added a few words which contain the ”x” sound in the end of the word that you can use if you choose though.
Idea of this activity:
1. Students will spread out the various sorting mats.
2. They will then determine the sound that the picture on the card makes. They will then sort it onto the correct mat. If needed there are hints on the back of the card to assist them (for example if the word is "gum", the hint on the back of the card will say "__um").
3. They will continue to sort the cards until they are all sorted. When done, they can work on the optional worksheet.
Teacher Prep Needed:
* You will need to print out the pages in color. The sorting mats will be printed single sided, and the alphabet cards will be printed double sided, as they need to have the picture on the front and the hints on the back.
* You will then cut out the sorting mats, and the apple cards.
*You will need to print off enough of the recording sheets for every student. OR print off a few, and laminate so the students can use them with dry erase markers.
Enjoy! And thank you SO much for stopping by my TPT store
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases.