These letter sound centers are perfect for teaching beginning sounds to Pre-K and Kindergarten students. If you are looking for hands-on and engaging letter sound activities for your classroom - these are for you!
Designed with both Pre-K and Kindergarten in mind, these centers will give you a variety of activities and options for your students.
This pack is filled with engaging beginning sound centers for Pre-K and Kindergarten students that are NOT themed and can be used ANY TIME of year! (see the preview and description below for full details).
***This pack focuses on letter SOUNDS, and while names of letters are certainly a part of this,
You may find our Letter Name Centers
helpful for learning the names of letters.
***This pack is also available in a money saving BUNDLE***
of print and play, skill-based centers.
Looking for centers that are themed? You will love our themed math and literacy centers.
BEGINNING SOUND CENTERS AND ACTIVITIES INCLUDED:
Beginning Sound Clip Cards
- Clip the letter that matches the beginning sound of the picture shown (one set includes the letter written next to the objects for letter matching support).
Beginning Sound Puzzles
- Use these puzzles as 3 piece puzzles, or simply remove the middle piece and have 2 piece puzzles for learners who aren’t quite ready for 3!
Beginning Sound Dominoes
- Students start at the star and then match up letters and pictures by placing the letter next to its matching picture, creating a long “train” of dominoes.
Pocket Chart Sorts
- Use the pieces as a matching game in a pocket chart (or out). There are two sets of matches available to use as a sorting activity as well if your students are up for more of a challenge.
- The mini-books are easy to prep and require NO cutting or staples! Just fold in half twice and you have a book ready to go! (26 books, one for each letter Aa-Zz)
Beginning Sound Trace and Color
–Trace the letter and color the objects (26 pages, one for each letter Aa-Zz).
Peanut Butter and Jelly Match (2 levels)
-match up the letters to their beginning sounds by putting the sandwich halves together (one set contains the letter written on both halves for matching support if needed).
Pop! That Sound
- Cover the pictures on the popcorn pieces on the mat that begin with the letter on the bucket (26 mats total, one for each letter). ***This is the only activity that contains both long and short sounds for vowels, but you can easily require students to only hunt for the short sounds if you prefer. ***Xx contains beginning and ending sounds.
– Sort the picture gumballs into their machines by their beginning sounds.
– Pick a cookie card and say the picture name. Find and trace its beginning sound (both upper and lowercase tracing options).
Beginning Sound Bubbles (2 levels)
– Pick a bubble bottle and say the picture name. Find and color the bubble with that beginning sound (one set includes the letters written on the bottles for letter matching support if needed).
Magnet, Tile, or Dry Erase Cards
– Print and laminate these strips to use in a center. Identify the picture and use letter manipulatives or a dry erase marker to put its beginning sound in the box.
Magnet Match (2 sets)
– Use magnets or letter tiles to place on top of the pictures by identifying their beginning sounds.
– Say the picture names and stamp their beginning sounds in the boxes above.
Black and White Copies of color items are included at the end of the files.
More Activities Your Kids Will Love:
Alphabet Emergent Readers
Alphabet Phonics Poems
Alphabet Writing Centers