Thanks for stopping by!
• Game #1 (featuring TWENTY beginning sounds a, b, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, r, s, t, v, w, y, z; PLUS 20 corresponding picture cards)
• Game #2 (featuring NINE beginning sounds p, b, t, d, k, g, f, v, q; PLUS 20 corresponding picture cards)
• Game #3 (featuring EIGHT beginning sounds m, n, s, z, a, o, u, r; PLUS 20 corresponding picture cards)
• Game #4 (featuring EIGHT beginning sounds l, c, e, h, i, j, w, y; PLUS 20 corresponding picture cards)
• 20 KA-POW cards (I suggest using 5 in each of the KA-POW games!)
Print all pages on white cardstock or construction paper. Laminate for durability; then, cut out the cards. The pages in this pack are arranged in order. Game #1 has the first 2 mats and the next page of picture cards, Game # 2 has the next 2 mats and the next page of cards, and so on! Once everything is cut, you’re ready to play!
This game is played with 2 players. Each player gets 1 KA-POW mat to set in front of him/her on the table. Deal out all of the picture cards that correspond with the game you choose FACE-DOWN in the middle of the table. Also add 5 KA-POW cards FACE-DOWN to the mix, as well. Game on!
The first player draws from the face-down cards in the center of the table. The card is then matched to and placed on someone’s game board. For instance, if the player flips over a card with a volcano, both players search their mats for the letter “v” (ONLY 1 player will have the corresponding beginning sound chosen at all times). When the “v” is found, the “volcano” card is placed on top of the “v.” Then play continues to the next player. If a KA-POW card is picked, the players must switch seats and play with their opponent’s KA-POW mat as their own! The game is over when one player’s mat has been filled with picture cards, making him/her the winner! Play again and again until time runs out. What a great way to practice letter recognition and beginning sounds during center time!
My students really enjoy this game. You’ll love it because they’ll be engaged the entire time! ☺