Did you know March 15th is “Absolutely Incredible Kid Day”? Have your beginning writers create an award that they would give to themselves for being so incredible! Then have the students explain why they would give themselves this specific award. The writing prompt page will give your bilingual students the confidence needed as they transition into independent writing. I have come up with this and many other great products for your dual language or bilingual program. It is in ENGLISH and also in SPANISH. Our district uses the Gomez and Gomez Dual Language enrichment program but you can use this activity in a monolingual class, too!
1. Explain the meaning behind "Absolutely Incredible Day". Have the student fill in the web map using adjectives about certain aspects they like about themselves.
2. The student will then select their favorite adjective and then write it into the trophy on the coloring page.
3. Then instruct the children to draw themselves being this particular adjective in the rectangular block on the writing page. Guide them to label each item in their drawing. Labeling will help them during the writing process.
4. Share-write through the process of writing a correct sentence by pointing out the fact that a capital letter is needed at the beginning of every sentence.
5. Guide them to use appropriate spaces.
6. Guide them to use correct punctuation.
7. Last but not least, guide them to re-read what they wrote to see if it makes sense. Then encourage them to go back and add to / change the sentence until it does.
Thank you for purchasing from Bilingual Street! Check out these great activities for beginning writers plus other fabulous products on teacherspayteachers.com under BILINGUAL STREET. Read my blog on www.bilingualstreet.com!