This packet is filled with 14 ready-to-use activities and printables to complete with students during the beginning of the year.
Table of Contents: Activity Pack Ideas and Activity Handouts:
This file includes:
1.Read Alouds Mentor Texts- A few of my favorites to read during the first week of school.
2.“Bag of Me” Homework Assignment: Staple directions to a paper bag and have students bring in 5 things to share with the class during the first week of school.
3.My Favorite Book: Have students write about their favorite book.
4. My First Day of School. Read “Wemberly Worried” by Kevin Henkes or “The Way I Feel” by Janan Cain and have students fill out how they were feeling on the first day of school.
5.The Way I Feel- Use will young students to draw how they feel after reading one of the mentor texts about starting school.
6.Getting to Know YOU: Have students fill out survey about themselves.
7. What’s in a Name: Read "The Name Jar" by Yangsook Choi and have students complete the name assignment for homework. Have students write name on paper and create your own classroom “name jar” after sharing stories.
8. Our Class Family Tree- Have each student stamp his/her thumbprint and sign name under thumbprint and frame as a class keepsake.
9. Sentence Completion Test- Students fill in the blanks to complete each thought.
10. Time Capsule: Have students fill out and then pass back out at the end of the year for them to look back on changes they have made in one year.
11. What I Want to Be: Use frame for students to write what they want to be when they grow up. Take pictures and create a slide show to show during curriculum night or open house.
12. Getting to Know You Game using colorful candies
13. All About Me Pennant
14. My Summer Memories Paper: Students can write about their summer and share with classmates
Hope this resource is helpful in kicking off a wonderful school year!
Follow My Blog: "a href="http://techiebookwormadventures.blogspot.com"> Adventures of a Techie Bookworm Blog
Beginning of the Year- Activity Pack
by Lynnea Urbanowicz
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License
Borders, clipart, paper, and fonts courtesy of (Click any link below to go directly to their stores):
Papers © Mooandpuppy
Graphics © Graphics from the Pond
Fonts © KG Fonts
Fonts and papers by Lovin LIt
Borders © Kelly Benefield
Clipart © Creative Clips by Krista Wallden
Clipart © Little Red's Clipart
Clipart © Peachy Cottoncandy
Keywords: back to school activities, beginning of the year activities, time capsule, pennant, back to school pack, first day of school, first week of school activities