For Use with Mentor Text: Miss Nelson Is Missing
1. Read aloud the mentor text Miss Nelson is Missing.
• Before reading, explain that the purpose for reading today will be to observe how Miss Nelson’s class changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
• After reading, lead a discussion on the above theme. Extend students’ thinking and ask them to consider what the motivation was for Miss Nelson’s students’ to change.
2. T-chart Sorting Activity
• Use the sorting cards along with a T-chart to examine the characteristics of an awful class and the characteristics of an awesome class. Conclude by asking students of which class they would rather be a part.
3. Create Class Books
• Give students the opportunity to extend their thinking and contribute original ideas to 2 class books: “Our Class Is an Awesome Class” and “Our Class Is Not an Awful Class.” (2 possible line templates to choose from for each book)
4. Establish class rules and with template included design poster for year-long display.
Includes 20 sorting cards, 2 class book covers, 2 templates for student pages in class book, poster template for class rules