Looking for something new for back to school? This reading lesson is ideal for the first day of school and is connected to the English Language Arts Common Core! This colorful and animated PowerPoint uses the classic poem First Grade, First Day will keep your first graders engaged while using technology. Repetition in the poem helps build sight word recognition and fluency. The animation in the PowerPoint support young readers in sounding words with the -ay word family. Printable worksheets are included to facilitate reading practice at home and independent practice at school to follow-up direct instruction.
The sample images show slides from the PowerPoint and the printables. Please see the preview for a more detailed view of the entire resource.
Here are the specific items included with this lesson:
* First Grade, First Day PowerPoint with 19 pages, including the poem and animated –ay word practice designed to assist in applying phonics for decoding
* Printable Student copy of poem (PDF) that can be included in a poetry notebook or folder
* Printable Take-home copy of poem (PDF) with note asking student to read poem at home
* Printable -ay word worksheet (PDF)
* Printable Poem sequence worksheet (PDF)
First Grade ELA Common Core Standards covered:
* 1.RL.10: With prompting and support, read prose and poetry of appropriate complexity for grade 1
* 1.RFS.3: Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words
* 1.RFS.4 Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension
All of the materials are included in a compressed file. When you download it, you will find the PowerPoint and PDF files with the printable worksheets. Click on extract all files and the files will open normally in PowerPoint and PDF.
If you have a Smart Board brand of interactive whiteboard, you may want to check out my Beginning of the Year Reading Smart Board Lesson "First Grade, First Day" Poem
. that is also listed for sale, which includes Smart Notebook activities in addition to the PowerPoint and Printables included in this product.
After purchase, please remember to leave feedback to get your TpT points that will give you a credit on future purchases!
Thank you so much for stopping by!