Product Description for Qit 8: Being an Upstander to Bullying
This FREE Qit (or mini-unit) focuses on developing skills and strategies for being an upstander to bullying in both face-to-face (F2F) and online situations. Students will learn how to use empathy for motivation to intervene in bullying situations, determine whether or not it is safe to intervene, and apply simple verbal and nonverbal approaches to help a bullying victim get away.
This Qit includes the following materials:
• a Mini-Lesson in two formats (a full-color, projectable Prezi AND a one-page, black-and-white printable)
• 5 one-page, black-and-white, printable activities (detailed below)
• a robust Answer Key
• thorough and detailed Instructions For Use
Looking for more details? Click on the green Preview button above to see each material up close, or read on for a brief description of each.
• Mini-Lesson: Choose from either an exciting projectable Prezi (Internet connection required) or a one-page, infographic-style printable to teach the Mini-Lesson. Both formats are packed with student appeal and include a three-step strategy (broken down with in-depth examples and details), vocab words and definitions, a writing activity, and a brief graph interpretation activity.
• Worksheet: Encourage focus and attention by having students complete this short-answer printable activity during the Mini-Lesson OR use it afterwards as group work, homework, or a quiz. So flexible!
• Strategy Practice Activity: By analyzing dialogue between the two Goobs (or characters) who were introduced in the Mini-Lesson, students will gain a deeper understanding of the strategy they just learned. The fun factor of this printable activity is amped up by the Goobs, themselves, who use relatable, casual, and often comic language as they struggle to solve the problem or challenge they're facing.
• Extension Activity: The attention-grabbing music theme of this printable activity will keep students engaged as they review and extend concepts from the Mini-Lesson to reorder a 'playlist' that has been shuffled out of order. An optional QR Code Activity allows students to access a real
online playlist of popular songs, all with lyrics and messages relating to the concept of being an upstander. (See below for more info.)
• Writing Activity: Relatable questions challenge students to reflect, think critically, and demonstrate the concepts they've learned in this printable activity, which is perfect for assessment.
• Real-Life Challenges Activity: By completing a checklist of real-life challenges included in this printable activity, students will apply the concepts they've learned to their own lives so they may see and experience the strategies "in action."
• Answer Key: Super organized and detailed, this guide includes everything you need!
• Instructions for Use: In addition to basic instructions for use, you'll find links to online resources to help you use this product with ease, including an FAQ Page
(which provides a video tutorial about what's included in a Qit and how to open and operate a Prezi), a Description of Qit Materials
page (which provides visual examples highlighting the key features of all the printable materials included in a Qit), a fun, one-minute video
to introduce etiQit to your students, and much more!
. If you have a request for an editable product, please contact us
Links to Similar Products Featuring Related Concepts
Bullying Bundle: Identifying, Coping & Prevention
Qit 6: Differentiating Teasing from Bullying
Qit 7: Coping with Bullying thru Friendship
Qit 9: Recognizing the Bully in Yourself
Notes on the Prezi
A Prezi is a digital presentation similar to a Power Point, but equipped with much more exciting viewing features such as zooming, turning, and perspective-changing, which students tend to love! Because the Prezi file included with this product contains complex graphics and effects, it is too large to include in the product download. Instead, a web link and password allowing you to access the Prezi online are included with the product. An Internet connection is required to view the Prezi, as well as Adobe Flash Player (which most computers are already equipped with, but can easily be downloaded for free
if needed). Most people view etiQit Prezis with absolutely no problems, but detailed tips for operating Prezis can also be found on etiQit's FAQ Page
(which includes a video tutorial demonstrating just how easy it is to open and use an etiQit Prezi from start to finish!) Please note that while the Prezi is full of exciting colors, graphics, and rich content, it is non-editable and does not include sound.
Notes on the QR Code Activity
By completing the Extension Activity accurately, students will generate a password that will allow them to access a hidden online incentive by scanning a QR Code. This bonus activity is great for motivating student effort and accuracy in their work (not to mention, it's just plain fun!), but is entirely optional and may be omitted. A QR Code Scanning app is required to scan the QR Code. While most students likely already have such an app on their devices, QR Reader & Barcode Scanner
is a great free option for those who do not. Further explanation of the QR Code Activity is included in the Answer Key.
Smiling Customers Guarantee
We want all our customers to be absolutely beaming over their etiQit products, so please contact us if you have a question or problem. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to help!
Welcome to etiQit, where you'll find a fresh, modern approach to social emotional learning (SEL)! Our no-prep, download-and-use materials are perfect for teachers of specialty subjects (such as counseling and guidance, health, life skills, vocational education, character education, special education, and speech) as well as general classroom teachers looking for easy-to-implement SEL activities. Students will be hooked by the infusion of technology, social media, apps, music, and pop culture in etiQit materials, all of which foster an interactive SEL experience designed to promote the social emotional health and personal safety of tweens and teens living in a connected, digital world.