Bell Ringers - FULL YEAR Plus! Engage your students at the start of class with these dynamic Common Core Bell Ringers! The attractively-designed slides provide 5-7 minute warm-up activities that get students thinking and allow for those important teachable moments! Includes figurative language, sentence editing, compound, complex and compound-complex sentences, parts of speech and subject/predicate, picture prompt quick writes, inspirational quotation writing prompts, and vocabulary in context!
This resource contains 422 slides, including 240 Warm Ups and corresponding Answer and Teacher Directions slides --A FULL YEAR'S WORTH and more of Common Core-aligned Daily Warm Ups!
Included in the Product: (with CCSS Alignment)
1. --45 SENTENCE EDITING Slides – L.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing (plus 45 Answer Slides)
2. --30 PARTS OF SPEECH/SUBJECT-PREDICATE REVIEW Slides – L.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage (plus 30 Answer Slides)
3. --30 COMPOUND, COMPLEX, AND COMPOUND-COMPLEX SENTENCE WRITING Slides - L.1 and L.3 Use knowledge of language and its conventions when writing (plus 30 Answer Slides)
4. --40 PICTURE PROMPT QUICK WRITES (WITH DIFFERENTIATION) Slides - W.2 Write informative texts to examine a topic, W.3 Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences, W.10 Write routinely over shorter time frames for a range of tasks.
5. --35 FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE AND MEANING Slides – RL.4 and RI.4 Determine the meanings of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative and connotative meanings (plus 35 Answer Slides)
6. --30 “WRITE NOW” MOTIVATIONAL QUOTATIONS WRITING PROMPTS WITH DIFFERENTIATION (Students choose from two styles of response) - W.1 Write arguments to support claims with clear reasons/evidence, W.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, W.10 Write routinely over shorter time frames for a range of tasks
7. --30 VOCABULARY IN CONTEXT Slides – RL.4 and RI.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in text (plus 30 Answer Slides)
8. DAILY WARM UP STUDENT HANDOUT - This neatly-designed handout can be copied back to back and used as a log for student responses.
9. BELL RINGERS USAGE LOG (for Teacher) - A optional chart is included for teachers to keep a record of the slides that have been used (class, date, etc.)
If you open the PREVIEW, you will be able to see two Warm Ups for each of the 7 main topics listed above, along with complete teacher directions and answer slides.
My students really enjoy the Bell Ringers and they are EASY to grade! Students use the Warm Ups Handout, and when the 10 spaces are filled, they hand it in for a grade. I only grade one from each side, but they won’t know which one will be graded. If they have completed that one fully and accurately (allowed to make changes as we discuss each one), and all the others are completed, they will get full credit.
The Writing Prompts add variety and you may want to have them written on paper or in a notebook for more space.
I enjoy rotating the topics each day, yet students get the hang of these activities with the repetition over the weeks! If you are looking for engaging warms ups that only take 5-7 minutes (and don’t stretch into 15 minutes), you will want to consider this product.
All slides download in projectable PDF format (just click on View Full Screen). Please open the PREVIEW to see several examples from this resource!
You may also like:
Task Cards for Better Writing: BUNDLE
Figurative Language Stations - Common Core
---Click to receive My Newsletter
with Teaching Tips and FREEBIES!