Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
2.17 MB | 28 pages
Science Starters - 50 Thought Provoking Bellwork Questions to Engage Middle School Science Students
Earth Science - Rocks, Minerals & Soil
This item consists of 10 Science Starters that can be used at the beginning of a class period to engage students and prime their thinking for the rest of the class. Each Science Starter in this item contains 5 high level problems of the day questions that asses the students’ knowledge about rocks, minerals and soil. Every Science Starter is two pages long, which can be copied on the back and front of a single piece of paper. A Science Starter can be passed out to the students on the first day of the week and the students will have an engaging question to start each of that week’s classes. The Science Starters consist of both multiple choice and extended response questions. The multiple choice questions require students to explain why they chose the answer they did. The questions found on Science Starters have a similar design to questions that might be found on state wide science assessments.
As a BONUS, included in this item is a FREE Science Starter entitled How to Complete Science Starters. This can be used to help instruct your students on how to follow all the directions to accurately complete a Science Starter.
An answer key is included which gives thorough answers to all questions on each Science Starter.
Included in this product:
* 22 Student Pages (enough for 11 weeks of school)
* Over 50 questions that asses student knowledge about earth science
* An answer key which includes thorough answers to all questions
* Title page
* Full lesson plan describing how Science Starters can be used in your classroom
Science Starters also have other possible uses including:
• A question bank for the creation of end of unit exams
• Pre assessments to be given to student before a unit to evaluate their prior knowledge
• Homework assignments
• An assignment that can be easily used by a substitute teacher with very little prep by the full time teacher
The specific content that is covered in these Science Starters is:
• Minerals have specific, quantifiable properties.
• Igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks have unique characteristics that can be used for identification and/or classification.
• Igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks form in different ways.
• Soil is unconsolidated material that contains nutrient matter and weathered rock.
• Rocks, minerals and soils have common and practical uses.
The Science Starters Included in the Earth Science: Rocks, Minerals & Soil pack include:
• Mineral Identification 1
• Mineral Identification 2
• Mineral Resources
• The Rock Cycle
• Rock Forms 1
• Rock Forms 2
• Rock Identification
• Soil 1
• Soil 2
• Topographical Map Reading
• *BONUS* How to Complete Science Starters
• Answer Key For All 11 Science Starters Listed Above
You may also be interested in:
Science Starters – Combo Pack – A year’s worth of Science Starters that cover science skills, earth science, physical science and life science!
Science Starters – Physical Science – Matter and Motion
Science Starters – Life Science – Cells and Multicellular Organisms
Science Starters – Science Skills – Lab Safety, Scientific Method and Data Interpretation