Science Starters 50 Thought Provoking Bellwork Questions to Engage Middle School Science Students
Life Science - Cells and Multicellular Organism
These Science Starters focus on the study of the basics of Modern Cell Theory. All organisms are composed of cells, which are the fundamental unit of life. Cells carry on the many processes that sustain life. All cells come from pre-existing cells.
This item consists of 10 Science Starters that can be used at the beginning of a class period to engage students and prime their thinking for the rest of the class. Each Science Starter in this item contains 5 high level problems of the day questions that asses the students’ knowledge about cells and cell theory. Every Science Starter is two pages long, which can be copied on the back and front of a single piece of paper. A Science Starter can be passed out to the students on the first day of the week and the students will have an engaging question to start each of that week’s classes. The Science Starters consist of both multiple choice and extended response questions. The multiple choice questions require students to explain why they chose the answer they did. The questions found on Science Starters have a similar design to questions that might be found on state wide science assessments.
As a BONUS, included in this item is a FREE Science Starter entitled How to Complete Science Starters. This can be used to help instruct your students on how to follow all the directions to accurately complete a Science Starter.
An answer key is included which gives thorough answers to all questions on each Science Starter.
Included in this product:
* 22 Student Pages (enough for 11 weeks of school)
* Over 50 questions that asses student knowledge about earth science
* An answer key which includes thorough answers to all questions
* Title page
* Full lesson plan describing how Science Starters can be used in your classroom
Interested in more Science Starters? Save money and get the combo pack with over 200 questions. The combo pack has enough Science Starters for a whole school year!
Science Starters also have other possible uses including:
• A question bank for the creation of end of unit exams
• Pre assessments to be given to student before a unit to evaluate their prior knowledge
• Homework assignments
• An assignment that can be easily used by a substitute teacher with very little prep by the full time teacher
The specific content that is covered in these Science Starters is:
• Cells are the fundamental unit of life.
• All cells come from pre-existing cells.
• Cells carry on specific functions that sustain life.
• Living systems at all levels of organization demonstrate the complementary nature of structure and function.
The Science Starters Included in the Life Science: Cell and Multicellular Organism pack include:
• Cell Theory
• Cell Parts
• Cell Overview
• Cell Nucleus
• Cell Membrane
• Cell Reproduction
• Levels of Organization
• Body Structures
• Body Tissues
• Using a Microscope
• *BONUS* How to Complete Science Starters
• Answer Key For All 11 Science Starters Listed Above
You may also be interested in:
Science Starters – Combo Pack – A year’s worth of Science Starters that cover science skills, earth science, physical science and life science!
Science Starters – Physical Science – Matter and Motion
Science Starters – Earth Science – Rocks, Minerals and Soil
Science Starters – Science Skills – Lab Safety, Scientific Method and Data Interpretation