Science Starters - 50 Thought Provoking Bellwork Questions to Engage Middle School Science Students
Physical Science – Matter and Motion
Save 20% when you purchase the bundle pack: Bell Work / Bellringers Combo Pack - 200 Science Questions For Middle School
These Science Starters focus on the study of foundational concepts of the particulate nature of matter, linear motion, and kinetic and potential energy.
This item consists of 10 Science Starters that can be used at the beginning of a class period to engage students and prime their thinking for the rest of the class. Each Science Starter in this item contains 5 high level problems of the day questions that asses the students’ knowledge about matter and motion. Every Science Starter is two pages long, which can be copied on the back and front of a single piece of paper. A Science Starter can be passed out to the students on the first day of the week and the students will have an engaging question to start each of that week’s classes. The Science Starters consist of both multiple choice and extended response questions. The multiple choice questions require students to explain why they chose the answer they did. The questions found on Science Starters have a similar design to questions that might be found on state wide science assessments.
As a BONUS, included in this item is a FREE Science Starter entitled How to Complete Science Starters. This can be used to help instruct your students on how to follow all the directions to accurately complete a Science Starter.
An answer key is included which gives thorough answers to all questions on each Science Starter.
Included in this product:
* 22 Student Pages (enough for 11 weeks of school)
* Over 50 questions that asses student knowledge about earth science
* An answer key which includes thorough answers to all questions
* Title page
* Full lesson plan describing how Science Starters can be used in your classroom
Interested in more Science Starters? Save money and get the combo pack with over 200 questions. The combo pack has enough Science Starters for a whole school year!
Science Starters also have other possible uses including:
• A question bank for the creation of end of unit exams
• Pre assessments to be given to student before a unit to evaluate their prior knowledge
• Homework assignments
• An assignment that can be easily used by a substitute teacher with very little prep by the full time teacher
The specific content that is covered in these Science Starters is:
• All matter is made up of small particles called atoms.
• Changes of state are explained by a model of matter composed of atoms and/or molecules that are in motion.
• There are two categories of energy: kinetic and potential.
• An object’s motion can be described by its speed and the direction in which it is moving.
The Science Starters Included in the Physical Science: Matter and Motion pack include:
• Kinetic and Potential Energy
• Interpreting Speed Data
• Speed vs Time Graphs
• States of Matter 1
• States of Matter 2
• Physical and Chemical Changes
• *BONUS* How to Complete Science Starters
• Answer Key For All 11 Science Starters Listed Above
You may also be interested in:
Science Starters – Science Skills – Lab Safety, Scientific Method and Data Interpretation
Science Starters – Earth Science – Rocks, Minerals and Soil
Science Starters – Life Science – Cells and Multi-cellular Organisms