Science Starters - 50 Thought Provoking Bellwork Questions to Engage Middle School Science Students
Science Skills - Lab Safety, Scientific Method & Data Interpretation
These Science Starters focus on the study of appropriate laboratory safety techniques, data interpretation and the scientific method to construct student knowledge and understanding in all science content areas.
This item consists of 10 Science Starters that can be used at the beginning of a class period to engage students and prime their thinking for the rest of the class. Each Science Starter in this item contains 5 high level problems of the day questions that asses the students’ knowledge about lab safety, scientific method and data interpretation. Every Science Starter is two pages long, which can be copied on the back and front of a single piece of paper. A Science Starter can be passed out to the students on the first day of the week and the students will have an engaging question to start each of that week’s classes. The Science Starters consist of both multiple choice and extended response questions. The multiple choice questions require students to explain why they chose the answer they did. The questions found on Science Starters have a similar design to questions that might be found on state wide science assessments.
As a BONUS, included in this item is a FREE Science Starter entitled How to Complete Science Starters. This can be used to help instruct your students on how to follow all the directions to accurately complete a Science Starter.
An answer key is included which gives thorough answers to all questions on each Science Starter.
Included in this product:
* 22 Student Pages (enough for 11 weeks of school)
* Over 50 questions that asses student knowledge about earth science
* An answer key which includes thorough answers to all questions
* Title page
* Full lesson plan describing how Science Starters can be used in your classroom
Interested in more Science Starters? Save money and get the combo pack with over 200 questions. The combo pack has enough Science Starters for a whole school year!
Science Starters also have other possible uses including:
• A question bank for the creation of end of unit exams
• Pre assessments to be given to student before a unit to evaluate their prior knowledge
• Homework assignments
• An assignment that can be easily used by a substitute teacher with very little prep by the full time teacher
The specific content that is covered in these Science Starters is:
• Identify questions that can be answered through scientific investigations;
• Design a scientific investigation;
• Analyze and interpret data;
• Develop descriptions, models, explanations and predictions;
• Think critically and logically to connect evidence and explanations;
• Recognize and analyze alternative explanations and predictions; and
• Perform science investigations safely
The Science Starters Included in the Science Skills: Lab Safety, Scientific Method and Data Interpretation pack include:
• Lab Safety 1
• Lab Safety 2
• Observation& Inferences
• Scientific Method 1
• Scientific Method 2
• Scientific Method 3
• Interpreting Scientific Data 1
• Interpreting Scientific Data 2
• Interpreting Scientific Data 3
• Dichotomous Keys
• *BONUS* How to Complete Science Starters
• Answer Key For All 11 Science Starters Listed Above
You may also be interested in:
Science Starters – Combo Pack – A year’s worth of Science Starters that cover science skills, earth science, physical science and life science!
Science Starters – Life Science – Cells and Multicellular Organisms
Science Starters – Earth Science – Rocks, Minerals and Soil
Science Starters – Physical Science – Matter and Motion