This unit is nonfiction reading focused on aspects of Ben Franklin’s life. It has projects that can be completed “as is” or enriched. Here’s what you will find inside this package:
• Introduction- this introduction to the unit is in PDF (in case you don’t have a projector), PowerPoint (in case you don’t have an interactive whiteboard), iwb (interactive whiteboard format), and ActiveInspire for those of you that have a Promethean Board.
• Ben Franklin 410- - this active reading piece is the meat of the unit. It is several paragraphs with activities in the text to facilitate discussion.
• Ben Franklin HW330 Lexile- and additional active reading piece that is written in more simple text so that students may complete it unassisted. Use it as a center or for homework. The activities are engaging.
• Timeline Activity- a flexible activity that requires students to categorize the type of impact the Ben Franklin’s inventions, ideas, participation etc. had on the rest of the world. This includes:
oTimeline flipchart (iwb or ActiveInspire)
oTimeline in PowerPoint
oTimeline cards-templates for extension activity
• Newspaper article Template
• Assessment Key
• Common Core Assessment Standards tracking sheet for you to track student achievement
• Directions-10 pages to guide you through step by step..
Common Core Standards Included: Informational text, Text Structure, Reading Foundations, Writing, Capitalization, Vocabulary, Syllabication, Compare and Contrast, Graphic Organizing Supporting Text, Timelines, Recalling Facts, Sequencing….and so much more!!! It's not Common Core, but there is an art project with the timeline too! :)
Over 40 pages- not all are shown.
Benjamin Franklin Nonfiction Reading Unit w/ Common Core Assessment
by Mandy Nygren
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License