Also included in
- This complete curriculum is designed for teaching British literature, and you will have a full year's worth of materials for teaching the canon of British literature from Britain's beginnings to today. Teach from Anglo-Saxon literature to Swift's satire to T.S. Eliot's existentialism. With each t$99.90$111.00Save $11.10
This low prep, standards-based, complete teaching pack for the epic Beowulf is designed to take your students through Beowulf in a way that the text comes alive. Beowulf, while a classic poem, is one of the most notable epics of all time that offers a journey of hope and heroism. In today's culture, this is certainly a narrative that our teens need to hear, and this complete literature guide is the product of classroom experience and has been years in development.
Student Experience: Students study and dig into the text with the carefully crafted questions, and you will be confident that key standards are being addressed. From the modern connections provided such as a Tweet for Me summarizing exercise to the informational text readings that bring in modern connections to September 11, students will recognize the importance of this classic text as critical in their world. Various other interactive, hands-on, and creative activities will provide you with many ways to engage your students and have them take ownership of their own learning in this three-four week unit plan. All the basics are here, too: reading quizzes, journal prompts, figurative language, final exam, research, historical influences, and final project prompts. You can use it all or just use some. This literature guide in its entirety touches every CCSS writing standard, many literature and info text standards, digital media standards for speaking and listening, and several language standards.
- Teacher's Guide with Daily Calendar, 100% editable PPT and Google format
- Intro lecture, 100% editable
- Podcast paired text (Hero's Journey)
- Intro Task Cards for Time Period Research with answers, 100% editable
- Links to versions of the text for differentiation
- Comprehension Questions for each section with answers, 100% editable PPT and Google formats
- Symbolism Activity with Personal Monsters Narrative Task, 100% editable
- Interactive Plot Review Game, 100% editable
- Quote and theme sorting review game
- Final Exam with Answers, 100% editable
- Quizzes and answers, 100% editable
- Journal Topics for Each Section, 100% editable PPT and Google format
- Real-World Writing Task and Student Presentation
- Literary Analysis Essay Prompt, 100% editable
- Short MLA Research Project Task with Rubric (Death practices), 100% editable
- Two Paired Info Text Lessons with Questions and Answers (Heroes and Grief)
- Two close reading excerpts with guided annotations
- Characterization studies for three main characters
- Movie questions
- Classroom posters
- Creative Social Media "Twidder" Summary Templates
- Character Puppets with custom and exclusive art work
- Figurative language and a focus on kenning
**These chapters are covered: "The Monster Grendel, "Arrival of a Hero," "Unferth’s Challenge," "Battle with Grendel," and "The Monster’s Mother & Final Battle"
Classroom success stories from other teachers who love this resource:
♥ "First year teacher and very nervous to teach Beowulf as it is very unfamiliar. This unit is excellent to combine with my creations. Loving the task cards to use as exit tickets for each student."
♥ "This is the first unit my students do, and this resource has been amazing with walking them through analysis!"
♥ "Exactly what I was looking for! I have a lower-level group this year, and while your materials are challenging, I do like that they are "chunked" and follow the textbook version that I am using. Some is more than they can handle, but I know that all of these materials will be used. Thank you!"
♥ "Julie Faulkner is my favorite TPT publisher! I used this entire unit & it was flawless! It was interactive, engaging, and best of all...my students enjoyed it!"
♥ "This is the BEST BEOWULF Unit on TPT! Super organized!!! I love the PDFs of each section of Beowulf. This alone with make my life a million times easier! I am also loving the links to the electronic translations! The best part is the intro task cards. I no longer have to give Anglo-Saxon History notes all day Monday! Great work!"
♥ "Julie'e resources are FANTASTIC! I purchased this one to add some "new life" to my current Beowulf unit. Gotta change things up sometimes! Her activities are well thought- out and purposeful. Great purchase!"
♥ "This unit has been extremely helpful in planning my lessons for the approaching school year. I know my students, so I already know they will enjoy this organized and fun approach to Beowulf. Thank you!"
Get my other ready-to-go curriculum bundles, too!
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches. Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to FOLLOW ME. Voila! You will now receive email updates about my store.
For more ideas and inspiration:
Please, one classroom use only. Additional licenses are sold at checkout. This license is nontransferable. Not eligible for online environments unless password protected. Posting openly online is prohibited. No part of this resource can be used for commercial purposes, altered, or resold. This work is my original work, and taking portions of it to create something else for resale is prohibited. Original Cover Photography by Julie Faulkner Photography. All other art and images credited inside file.