I hope you will enjoy this package. The Best Part of Me is an excellent book to begin the school year. It will help you get to know your students, and for them to get to know each other. I have included additional activities to foster a growth mindset in the classroom.
1. Find Someone Special Who…: This activity is a nice icebreaker/ get-to-know-you activity, and a good introduction to the theme of “what makes you special”. Students circulate the classroom looking for different people who can match the descriptions in each square and signing their names.
2. Read the book, The Best Part of Me. As a class, look for interesting adjectives, descriptive language, and specific reasons that are provided to support the writer’s “Best Part of Me”.
3. What Makes You, You- Minds On Activity: This is another supplementary activity. The teacher plays music and students walk around. When the music stops each student finds a partner. They roll the dice to determine what question they are going to answer (dice number corresponds with question number).
4. Success Criteria: This is the success criteria I use, but it is totally up to you what you want this piece of writing to look like. You may want to choose to focus on your students writing a proper paragraph, or you might prefer to have them write in more of a poetic, and free-style way. Choice is up to you!
5. Brainstorming Page: Students can use this page to brainstorm three possible parts for their “best part of me”. They can choose their best out of the three to use.
6. Similes Activity: Students are introduced to similes, and are given a chance to practice writing them. Encourage your students to try and use a simile in their writing.
7. Editing: Adding Juicy Words: This is an editing activity where students are encouraged to use more interesting and challenging adjectives in their writing.
8. Graphic Organizer: Helps students organize their introductions, reason #1, reason #2, reason #3, and a conclusion.
9. Student Self-assessment checklist: Students check off if they have completed each component of the success criteria before submitting their final work.
9. Good Copy Writing Paper: Lined paper for writing “Best Part of Me”. Take photos of each student’s favorite part and display! Great for “meet the teacher night”.
10. Quick Teacher Assessment Rubric: Based on Success Criteria, teachers check off level 4, 3, 2, or 1. There is a star for teachers to write something great about the work and stairs for a comment about a next step.