Ruta Sepetys’s bestselling historical fiction novel Between Shades of Gray is a captivating story that is easy for students to connect with. This bundle gives you 8 different hands-on lessons to teach with the book, and each lesson is added to an interactive folder. Most lessons include both a class or group activity and an individual activity for the folder.
An "interactive folder" is a mini-version of an interactive notebook, using a simple manila file folder. Students add each piece to the folder as they complete it over several class periods, creating a study tool that compiles their learning for the unit. The Between Shades of Gray Interactive Folder activities directly teach many Common Core ELA standards and can be used for a range of grade levels and ability levels.
The included Power Point presentation makes it easy to teach each lesson with little to no prep work! Answer keys and teaching notes for each activity, including grading suggestions and recommendations for both struggling and advanced learners, are also provided.
- Vocabulary In Context
- Types of Conflict
- Lina’s Journey (map activity / geography connection)
- Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs (social science connection)
- Character Map
- Scene Sketch
- Quote Log (2 versions from which you can choose)
Bundle Also Includes:
- PDFs of all student activities
- Power Point Presentation for teaching each activity (& PDF version of Power Point)
- Answer Keys
- Teaching Notes for all Activities
- Interactive Folder Layout Example Photos
- Folder Demo Video Clip
- Suggestions for Grading
- Suggestions for Struggling and Advanced Learners
Note: Page numbers for the novel (ISBN 978-0-14-242059-1) are included for some activities. Also, PDFs and Power Point slides are protected, so they are not editable. This is required to comply with copyright laws for the images used.