In this lesson, students of Spanish 4 or 5 practice the conditional, using the template of Beyonce's 'If I were a boy" to explore gender stereotypes in regards to romantic relationships. It is a comprehensive lesson that lends to student reflection, and fits well with the AP theme of identity. The activity allows practice with the conditional in all four domains (reading, writing, listening, and speaking) with an additional reference regarding the ways that people are subverting gender in Spanish language use.
The worksheet is broken down into five different parts, with directions in Spanish:
1) interacting with gender stereotypes in Spanish re: relationships
2) cloze activity with the conditional in the song. (link included)
3) reflection on the song and the concept of switching gender
4) writing a summary using vocabulary from the song and the conditional
5) comparing a Bey meme to the song message.
It is a strong lesson, with AP themes incorporated throughout. Enjoy, and Happy International Women's Day!
Spanish 4 AP Spanish Conditional Beyonce AP identity