This unit pack is designed to address student understanding of the formation of the universe according to the big bang theory.
The unit is aligned to NGSS HS-ESS1-2: “Construct an explanation of the Big Bang theory based on astronomical evidence of light spectra, motion of distant galaxies, and composition of matter in the universe.” The activities included can easily be incorporated into a 5E Lesson Plan format - suggestions are included in the Unit Instructions.
Included in this unit:
- Literacy Workbook (4 versions - original, adapted for ESL/ELL/SPED, chunked, and an answer key)
- Task Cards (8 stations with varying DOK levels - including hands-on activities, data analysis, sorting/categorizing, text-based, tech incorporated)
- Assessments (multiple choice quiz; red shift constructed response assessment; CER essay prompt and organizer)
- CER Essay Rubric (adapted specifically for this task)
- Evidence Mind Mapping Activity (scaffolding for essay construction)
- Vocabulary Cards (completed for word wall; missing definitions for student completion; etc.)
Check Out Some of My Related Resources on the Big Bang Theory:
For Other Astronomy Resources: