This PDF digital handout / poster presents the following "big ideas" about leadership ...
1. Every moment matters. What you observe intently and act upon immediately can make huge differences.
2. Respect and manage time properly. People want what they want when they want it, and you sometimes have to teach them how to treat you. Establish consistent protocols and firm boundaries that will minimize interruptions, and enforce them kindly.
3. Skills pay bills. Today's performance-based economy demands leaders who can delegate and demonstrate.
4. Skills trump wills. In these times, working by brute force and burning the midnight oil only magnify stress and hasten burnout. To not grow weary, work well and efficiently.
5. Do not mistake activity for achievement. A dog that chases his tail looks busy, but accomplishes little.
6. "NO" is a blessed word. There are times when you must say "no" to another person's agenda to say "yes" to your purpose and mission.
7. All ideas are great ideas, but no idea is a plan. Plan with the end in mind, but give a hearty respect and consideration to the means required to achieve the end. A shopping list created without consideration of cost or budget is a project disaster waiting to happen!
8. Authority is not power - it is the right to exercise power. Power is the ability to work efficiently. Those who work efficiently amass considerable influence in the workplace.
9. Perception is not reality, but perceptions shape reality. Just as perceptions shape reality, though, reality also shapes perception.
10. Those who tell often do not know, and those who know often do not tell. Excessive talking and posturing is a telltale sign of an unproductive person.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License